BEWARE OF SCAMS
Attempts to deceive internet users into believing that they have won a lottery prize are common. Scammers are looking for sensitive personally identifiable information in their efforts to cheat you.
- CT Lottery prizes won on authorized game tickets (Powerball®, Mega Millions®, Lotto®, Cash5, Lucky for Life™, Play3, Play4, 5 Card Cash® and Scratch Games) are ONLY awarded upon presentation of a winning lottery ticket purchased from an authorized lottery retailer.
- Never send money to someone who claims you won or may have won a lottery prize. There is virtually no way to get your money back. Those who initiate a dialogue with the scammer by replying to fraudulent lottery claim will eventually be asked for advanced fees to cover expenses associated with the delivery of the "winning prizes." Again, do not send money in these circumstances.
- The exception to this rule involves 2nd Chance Drawings conducted by the CT Lottery. If you win a prize in an authorized CT Lottery 2nd Chance Drawing, the CT Lottery or its designated business partner for the Drawing will contact you via U.S. postal service mail, at the contact address submitted by you on your entry. We welcome your questions regarding 2nd Chance notifications, as our goal is to help ensure your comfort in our security processes and accuracy of information.
- Do not provide personal information in response to ANY request until you are completely sure that it is an authentic communication from the CT Lottery. Scammers often provide a "claim form" that includes the unauthorized use of the CT Lottery logo. Some of the personally identifiable information you should protect includes your: Social Security Number, Military ID Number, Passport Number, Date of Birth, Credit Card Numbers, Bank Account Numbers, Home Address, Phone Numbers, Names of Children or Family Members.
- Multi-state lottery games (i.e. Powerball®, Mega Millions®, etc.) DO NOT hold drawings or award prizes through the mail. Illegal scam artists claiming to be affiliated with such games are circulating letters claiming to award lottery prizes or unclaimed prize money. Fraudulent cashiers checks are also being sent with these letters. If one of these checks are deposited, your bank may initially credit your account for the amount, but eventually these checks will "bounce" and you will be left owing your bank for any overdrafts. THESE ARE ILLEGAL SCAMS! Do not send the criminals any money or personal information. Do not trust the phone numbers provided on the check, since these will most likely go to an accomplice in the scam who will tell you the check is good. Look up the actual phone number of the bank or credit union online or through directory assistance and contact their security department directly to ask about the validity of the check. Report these scams to your local and state authorities.
- If you feel you have been a victim of fraud, you should:
a Lottery player you are entitled to certain rights and privileges when
you buy or redeem a lottery ticket, which include:
Draw Game prizes expire 180 calendar days
from the drawing date. All prizes must be claimed within 180 calendar days of
Scratch Game prizes expire 180 calendar days from
the announced "End of Game" date for games numbered 1001 and up.
Click here to locate
a scratch game's
Make informed choices about your Lottery ticket purchases. The Lottery
displays the average chance of winning on all point-of-sale materials to
help you make these choices. Odds of winning for all prize levels
(including jackpots) are also published in game brochures and on
- Ask to keep your non-winning lottery ticket and the "Not A Winner" voucher
that is automatically issued from the terminal when a ticket is validated.
- Ask to keep the "Payout" voucher from your winning ticket, although the
actual winning ticket, once cashed, becomes the property of the Lottery.
- Obtain How-to-Win information from the individual game pages of this web site.
Keeping the lottery fun means knowing the rules. Here are some important things to know before you buy a lottery ticket. For full details, download The Right Way to Play
- You must be 18 years of age or older to buy or cash lottery tickets.
over and count your lottery tickets BEFORE you leave the terminal to
make sure you've received exactly what
- Sign the back of your lottery ticket as soon as you purchase it to establish ownership.
- Expired tickets can not be cashed or redeemed.
- Play Slips do not constitute proof of purchase.
- The CT Lottery reserves the right to limit
sales of any 3 or 4-digit drawing game numbers.
- The CT Lottery reserves the right to cancel
or suspend any drawing or game, prize structure or frequency of drawings
in accordance with established game rules.
- If you believe that you or someone that you
care about has a gambling problem, call the 24-hour confidential problem
gambling HELPLINE through the
Connecticut Council on Problem Gambling at 1-888-789-7777.
- Wagering on credit is prohibited.
- Please Play Responsibly.
CT Lottery Security Director
Welcome to our Security Page
I have the pleasure and privilege of serving as the Security Director for one of the oldest and most successful lotteries in the country.
Security plays a critical role in ensuring the integrity of the lottery operations and staff. The public must have complete faith, trust and confidence in our games to ensure that everyone that plays has an equal and fair chance of winning.
To that end, our goal is to establish a true partnership with the corporation’s employees, customers and regulatory agency to ensure the highest level of integrity with our products and vendors.
You can rest assured that the CT Lottery takes security very seriously. We have been recognized by our industry peers as a leader in lottery security.
I’m proud of our accomplishments and our ability to respond to the many challenges that the lottery faces on a "day-to-day" basis. You have my continued commitment that the men and women who make up this lottery's Security Team will work to maintain your trust. We wish you the best of luck in playing our lottery games!
PLEASE PLAY RESPONSIBLY. Purchasers must be 18 or older.
The CLC makes no representation or guarantee as to the accuracy of the information contained on this website.
By using this website, you agree to the terms contained
in our Terms and Conditions
. The information and
materials in this website are provided “as is” and without warranties of any kind, either, express
In the event of a discrepancy between information on the website regarding winning numbers,
jackpots or prize payouts and the CLC’s enabling statutes, official rules,
regulations and procedures
the enabling statutes, official rules, regulations and procedures shall prevail. All materials on this
Website are owned by or licensed to the CLC.
Written permission required from the CLC in order to
reproduce, distribute or display any images or content on this Website.
Copyright © 1999-2015. Connecticut Lottery Corporation. All rights reserved.